Sunday, July 18, 2010

Race Time and a Mouse in the House

On Friday afternoon Kingston headed to Nana and Wo-wo's house and Nigel and I headed to Virginia Beach to spend the night before my big race on Saturday morning. We stopped for a quick bathroom break for Nige and a quick self portrait for me.

We spent the night on the Virginia Beach Oceanfront only a few blocks from the starting line of the race. The people-watching in VB is beyond compare. It takes all kinds, and they were all at the boardwalk on Friday night! So entertaining.

I got up early on Saturday morning, got my stuff together, texted my friend Dallas to tell her I was heading out and took the short walk to the race check-in. Dallas and I met up, lamented the fact that we had to wear the scratchy timing chip velcroed to our ankles (and, yes, I have the blisters/raw spots to show why it was a valid lament), and moved into position for the race. It all came back to me! I hadn't run a race since high school but it was like riding a bike! I had to fight the urge to sprint out of the starting line and start picking people off at a rapid pace. It was a lot of fun, and brought back a lot of great memories.

I had set a few specific goals for myself and I ended up meeting 2 of the 3. My first main goal was to finish and not walk-done with ease. Another goal was to run the 3.1 miles in under 30 minutes. I didn't quite meet that one and I'm slightly bummed about it. My official chip time was 30:46. Close but no cigar. If I would have just. . . Regardless, I am satisfied with my race.

Here I am posing in front of the finish line. It was hot. Damn hot.

And meet Dallas, my partner in crime and the head OBX Running Mama. The race was her idea and it marked her 1 year "runniversary". I'm so glad she suggested the race because it was so fun!

On the homefront, Kingston had a bit of a sickness this weekend. Nana and Wo-wo took such good care of my little boy. His fever was gone today, although his appetite is still not great. For example:
Here is my little mouse sitting on his perch-

And here are the crackers that used to be whole and used to have melted cheese on top. I made them for his afternoon snack after he turned down everything else I offered to him.

He ate all of the cheese off the top of the crackers and took one little bite off of each of them. Silly little mouse!

Tomorrow it's back to early morning running, Ms. Cindy's house and work.


Rendy said...

I'll take that kind of mouse in my house any day! Glad he is feeling better. So proud of you and your race. Keep running Mama!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you with your running! What a great time, be patience with the time, it was JUST 46 seconds more! Nurse those blisters! What a cute little mouse, I am glad he is feeling better. He enjoys cheese like me! Enjoy your run in the morning and give that little cute mouse a hug for me!
Hot here,