Thursday, July 2, 2009


Nan and Grandpa are spending a week or 2 on their boat in Ocracoke. Since Nigel has 2 business accounts down there and I had Wednesday off, we decided to take a family day and head to Ocracoke Island. Should have left the house earlier than 10 a.m. and that's all I'm going to say about that.

We waited 2 1/2 hours for the ferry to Ocracoke! Me, my 18 month old baby and my stressed out husband. In a stationary truck. With the windows down. In 90 degree weather. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

Actually, Kingston did quite well with the delay. He loves to play around in the car in the driveway so this was pretty cool for him!

We finally boarded the ferry at approximately 45 minutes past. . . well, nap time. It was too hot to keep Kingston in his seat so we got out and checked the scene. Kingston wasn't the biggest fan of the wind blowing in his face! But he loved the sea gulls and the water, so all was good. Oh, and he never took a nap. Just so you know.

We did a little chilling (and I mean that literally since it is approximately 60 degrees inside the Winnie Dawg at all times) and cheesing (that is Kingston's "cheeeeeese" face) in Nana and Grandpa's boat.

While Dad did some work, Nana, Kingston and I went for a walk and a bit of shopping. This is Kingston after 45 mosquitoes tried to pick him up by his right leg and take him home with them.

We all met back at the boat and Dad and Grandpa did a little fishing right off the back.

Grandpa caught a little croaker! Kingston checked it out and even touched it!

Grandpa let the fish go and we had to wave bye-bye to the fish. Kingston went back to look for him and say bye-bye again a few times!

"Kingston, what happened to the fish?"

"I don't know!"

Nana and I went to the store to get some stuff for dinner. When we came out we saw this:

What's cuter than Nigel on the fold up bike? Well, Kingston in the basket on the back of the fold up bike Nigel was riding, of course! Only in Ocracoke would you see a baby riding in the basket of a bike! Don't worry, they just took one quick spin around the really small parking lot!

After dinner and a few more minutes of fishing with Grandpa, the Haynes family had to head home.

We didn't get home until 11:00 p.m.! Let's just say Kingston slept in his clothes that he wore all day. It was a long, really fun day! I was still pretty tired this morning at 6:45 when Kingston decided to get up. I'm off to bed now . . .


Anonymous said...

Kingston is the cutest little fellow! I know Nana and Grandpa were having Kingston withdrawals so I am sure every minute was enjoyed by them. The fold-up bicycle is a trip! Rendy needs to take that to Edenton during Partners and ride around on it! :)
Enjoy the summer!
One of Rendy's math chicks,

Rendy said...

We loved having The Haynes Family aboard in Ocracoke! I know it was a long day for you but Grandpa and Nana loved every minute....and really appreciate you coming. Two weeks without Kingston might be more than I could stand!

Melissa said...

I was just saying to Seth that I wish we could go spend a couple of days in Ocracoke! How funny is that.

Looks like you guys had a good time!