Saturday, May 3, 2008

I'm a Magician!


I have somehow managed to cover my unsightly stomach with semi-cute clothes (at least I think so) over the past 4.5 months. It is really quite magical. I have convinced myself that I am not exactly at the size I want to be, but I'm doing pretty good. I'm going to the gym a few times a week (not exactly regularly but I figure something is better than nothing) and I don't feel like I am eating total crap. I have dropped below my big milestone mark by at least 8 lbs. so I think I'm doing pretty good.

Until . . .

I tried to find a bathing suit. I am no longer a magician. If I were, I would poof this poofy belly away, never to be heard from again. No such luck. I went to look at suits today at Belk because I have a gift card there. I was just under the impression, having never worn a tankini until I was pregnant and even then only wore it a few times, that tankinis were made to cover your stomach so that no one would have to see the stretchmarks and saggy skin. I guess maternity suits are a little more A-line and full around the stomach area for obvious reasons. It never really even crossed my mind that non-maternity suits would be a lot more fitted in the tummy area. That is NOT what I need. Needless to say, I left Belk in a major huff. I wanted to throw myself in front of a car full of old ladies looking for a sale. (Totally kidding-I am not on suicide watch!)

I realize that there are a lot more bathing suits in the world and Belk is perhaps not the best place to look for one. I did, however, at least expect that something would give me the idea that I will be able to pull off a bathing suit this year. Not so much. These suits made me never want to wear one again in my life. But really, I guess the hunt begins now. Off to every suit store on the beach. Surely there is something I can cover this mess with. At least now I am a little better prepared for what I will see in the mirror.

And to top it all off when I got home my poor, clueless husband asked if I found anything and I grumbled and mumbled and said it was a disaster. The best thing he could suggest was, "you need to get to the gym more." And after seeing my face immediately followed with, "That was the wrong thing to say, wasn't it?"

Yep. Sure was. The only thing a man should say when a girl comes back emptyhanded from suit shopping is, "Just keep looking. You will find one you look really good in" and preferably he will offer to pay for it!

Note: Please don't comment that I look great and that it takes 9 months to gain baby weight so it should take that long to get it off and that I probably don't look as bad as I think, etc. I know all this. I am not really bummed on my body. Just the fact that I can't hide it like I want to!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have come to the conclusion that ALL swimsuits are made by men...stupid, stupid, stupid men- who never have to worry about hiding a thing!

& the lighting in Belk is the worst on the beach. I avoid those dressing rooms like the plague. Good luck ;)