Tuesday, April 29, 2008

If You Say So. . .

Today was Kingston's 4 month check-up. We were anxious to see how much he weighed since we thought for sure he had chunked up in the last few weeks. To our surprise he only weighs 12 lbs. 14 oz. Two months ago he was 11lbs 6oz. I thought he would be at least 13. Close, but no cigar. He has dropped from the 50th percentile to the 15th in weight. Hmmmmm.

Height was a different story-go figure. He went from 23 inches to 25 1/2. He went from the 50th percentile to the 75th. Crazy. We knew he was getting taller after comparing him in various locations around the house and noting how he was filling up spaces more!

So the Dr. was concerned about his lack of weight gain until she started asking questions. She asked about various milestones that he should have hit already and he has done them all and then some. She was impressed by his head control, eye movement, dexterity (he was clasping his hands in front of him-which apparently is leading to passing objects from one hand to the other and is very good to do early). She said that his weight gain was of no major concern since he seems to be thriving in all other areas. We will watch the weight at his 6 mo. check-up and hope that he has picked up the weight-gain.

Of course I immediately ask what I have done wrong and what I can do different. The Dr. said not to worry but as a mother, it is hard to think that maybe you aren't doing what is best for your child. I am going to make a few changes and hope for the best. I am going to make sure to feed Kingston from both boobs every time he eats. And I am going to feed him rice cereal every night and maybe start in the mornings, too, if I don't feel like he is getting enough. I can start him on fruits and veggies any time but I think I am going to wait a little longer on that. No rush.

Dr. wants me to fatten up my baby? Lucky Kingston. I wish someone would tell me I need to eat more!!!

No comments: