Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Sleepless Night and Busy Day

Kingston didn't sleep well last night. He had been alternating between sleeping all night (yep, from 8-7:15ish) and waking up only once around 4 and then waking around 8. Both of those options were great. Not so much last night. He woke up every 1 1/2-2 hours. All night. He hasn't done that since he was 2 weeks old. Great. You always hope with every new unfavorable event that it isn't the beginning of a pattern. I'm going to chalk it up to a growth spurt or hurting tummy (he hadn't pooped for 4 days as of last night but he took care of that this afternoon!!) or the 4 month "shake-up" (don't ask me what that is, I just read about it happening to other babies around this time). Let's hope for a better night's sleep. Nigel is in Wilmington on work for a few days and Kingston often doesn't sleep as well when Dad is out of town. Seriously. How does he know?! I just put him down a little early-7:30-because it was just time. I mean, going to bed 30 minutes early won't be the reason he gets up 1,000 times in the night if he chooses to do so. Sleep, sweet baby. Sleep.

Kingston and I had a busy day. We went to High Cotton to fix a computer problem then went to Virginia to go to Target. Man, I love Target, but that's a whole other post! On the way home from VA we stopped at Courthouse Cafe, my friend Nancy's new restaurant. I had lunch there (yum!) and tried to help her with her new computer. I ended up bringing the computer home with me to install some new software and get it up and running. Nancy's little girl, Hailey, was there and was so excited to play with Kingston. She jumped around in front of him and giggled and I have never heard Kingston laugh so long and hard. He had the whole place laughing at him laughing. So cute.

We stopped at Nana and Grandpa's house (my Mom and Dad) on the way home for a quick visit. I was supposed to help Mom pick out something to wear to her High School reunion but we ended up playing with Kingston the whole time-go figure! Kingston is lucky to have such great grandparents. When we pulled up in our driveway, Pappy (Nigel's dad) was pulling in and helped us inside. He had had a bad day and looked to Kingston to cheer him up. It worked!

Right now Kingston is screaming his head off. He has decided he doesn't want to go to sleep. I have rocked him, fed him, swaddled him-which is the usual bedtime routine. Usually that does him in. Not tonight. Tonight I've tried it twice. Now I am trying the cry-it-out method. There is nothing more I can do for him-he is just going to have to figure it out himself. I am giving him 15 minutes before I go back in there. Looks like it might take that long. . .

Wait. What's that I hear? It's the sound of silence. Growth spurt, belly ache, 4 month shake-up. . . not so sure. I'm just glad he finally stopped crying and went to sleep-at least for now. And I hope we haven't started a new pattern. We only like positive patterns!

Now Kingston's mom can watch Lou Petrozza on Hell's Kitchen. Hilarious.

No comments: