Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Kingston's First Day

Kingston woke up about 20 minutes early this morning. I have been convinced for the past few days that he senses that something is about to change. I brought him into our bed where he promptly pointed to the TV. Our morning ritual is to turn on cartoons for about 15 minutes while laying in the bed. Today, about 2 minutes into Handy Manny, Kingston gave me the "hungry" sign by touching his fingers to his lips paci. So off we went to have a whole bowl of oatmeal and get geared up for daycare.

We left the house at about 8:45 and arrived at Ms. Cindy's right on time. I took him inside and set him down and off he went to play with the toys. I probably stayed a little too long watching him and he started to get suspicious as I inched toward the door. Ms. Cindy told me to go ahead and leave so I did. I heard his screaming all the way out to my car and until I shut my door and turned on the radio. The poor little fella had a hard time when I left. Ms. Cindy said he stood at the door and fussed for about 20 minutes, then went with her and sat on her lap to watch his favorite movie, Surf's Up, that he had taken with him. He then climbed down and went to play with the toys again. She said he didn't eat much lunch and refused to sit in his highchair for snacks or lunch. When I peeked in the door at 4:00 this afternoon Kingston was sitting at the big boy table, eating a snack, looking happy as a clam. (I'd be happy too if I was eating Fritos and Froot Loops. I said Ms. Cindy was really sweet. I didn't say she fed the kids the healthiest foods!)

Ms. Cindy said that he did a lot better than she expected him to. He still has a ways to go, but she thinks he will adjust very quickly. For now, he will be going to Ms. Cindy's every Tuesday and Thursday. Hopefully he will grow to love it. I am sure he will. It will be so good for all of us.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Thursday will be even harder for Kingston than today was. He would not even let me out of his sights this afternoon for anything! I'll bet he starts to fuss as soon as we walk in the door to Ms. Cindy's on Thursday. We can do it, though. I just keep reminding myself that this will be so good for all of us.

This will be so good for all of us.

3 comments:

Rendy said...

The first day is over! Change is always hard but do-able. I know you are glad to have Kingston in a good environment with people that you trust. That sweet little boy will adjust.....real soon!

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

Hey! You got a shout out on MckMama's blog!

Congrats! You're so clever :)